…but Jesus said,
“Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them,
for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.”
— Matthew 19:14
This year, the families and students of Classical Conversations Downtown Tulsa (CCDT) will be sponsoring two Ugandan orphans through Bless the Children Ministries (BTCM). Our donations will help provide food, shelter, and most of all, a safe place for these precious children to be nurtured, and to learn about God’s love.
Meet Our Sponsored Children
Deborah Namukwasa was born December 25, 2015, and is 1.5 years old.
Deborah’s mother died in childbirth and her father abandoned her. An aunt was trying to care for Deborah and her two siblings.[/one_half]
Aaron Manzi was born approximately January 1, 2016, and is 1.5 years old.
Aaron was found outside a school gate, completely alone, abandoned, and starving. At 16 months, he could barely crawl.[/one_half_last]
How can I get involved?
The cost to sponsor one child through BTCM is $44 per month. CCDT families and students are encouraged to participate in this project in the following ways:
- Donate toward the monthly costs of sponsoring Deborah and Aaron.
- Make a donation to help send our sponsored children a care package at Christmas time.
- As a family, pray for our two sponsored children, Uganda’s 2.5 million orphans, and the work of orphan outreach ministries like BTCM.
- Write letters to our sponsored children (details available soon).
Our Uganda Giving Box will be available to receive donations on each Community Day. Look for the Giving Box in Room 203 during Foundations & Essentials. (If you need to make a contribution at another time, please contact Abigail Prescott.)
We will also collect funds to apply toward the sponsorship costs through different fundraising opportunities, such as our Community Day Marketplace, and Moms’ Networking Night. More details on these events will be shared soon.
Other Ways You Can Help
- Visit Bless the Children Ministries online and sponsor another child, or a member of the Ugandan staff.
- Volunteer your time to support BTCM’s US operations by helping with fundraising, marketing, or other activities.
- Join a mission trip! Each year, several Tulsa-area churches sponsor mission trips to serve at the BTCM campus in Mabaale, Uganda. Areas of need may include: medical outreach, educational services, construction projects, and more. BTCM also offers summer internships for college students who have a heart for serving orphans.
Uganda is a nation of children with a history of poverty, corruption, and war that is ripe for investment and hope.
- Half of Uganda’s 38 million people are under the age of 15.
- 45% of Ugandans are Protestant, 39% are Roman Catholic, 14% are Muslim.
- The total fertility rate is 5.8 children per woman, one of the highest in the world.
- Uganda’s maternal mortality rate is 16 times that of the United States.
- Over 1.4 million Ugandans are living with HIV/AIDS — the 10th highest rate in the world.
- 14% of children under the age of 5 are underweight.
- Uganda has 2.5 million orphans.
What is Bless the Children Ministries?
Founded in 2008, BTCM’s mission is to care for orphans and vulnerable children through discipleship, Christian education, and health care. As part of its ministry, BTCM provides: a Children’s Home for orphaned and vulnerable children; a Sponsorship Program to meet ongoing needs; and a Christian school to provide Christ-centered education and relational discipleship. BTCM strives to help these children grow to be Godly leaders that will impact their communities.